Friday, September 5, 2014

Educate myself on an opinion I disagree with

So I came upon a discussion of an article that was basically critiquing arguments from youtube videos, so I decided this would be good for this challenge.

Educate myself on an opinion I disagree with
I read an article about a woman who was being harassed for her opinions on sexism in video games and general media. So I started watching her videos to see what they were about. There were some things I agreed with and some I did not.

Today I found this article:
http://nastythingssaidabout.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/the-terrible-misogyny-in-the-games-industry/
Basically critiquing her arguments about sexism in video games.

Now while I do think sexism is present in video games, I also didn't agree with how much the woman mentioned. So I was interested in reading what this writer had to say. I agree with his points that there should be no harassment of people in general, I did find his arguments lacking.

In my opinion, instead of taking the points the woman he is complaining about made and arguing them in a well presented and thought provoking way, he seems instead to just be rather upset at the state  of current affairs and using her as an outlet. Some of his arguments I downright disagree with. I do think sexism is very viewable in video games and as a huge video game player, I see it quite often.

Overall I was disappointed. Not necessarily at his opinion, but at the way it was presented. He had the opportunity to give a voice to the other side, to examine and critique what was being said, and to make us think. Instead it felt more like he was hurt and being defensive.

So I am sad to say I learned nothing from that article, but I did learn an entirely different lesson from this challenge. I had been thinking about what opinion to educate myself on for a while until this came along and it made me realize something important. Thinking about learning of opposing opinions made me very uncomfortable. It made me realize that I would sometimes rather stick my fingers in my ears and go LA LA LA instead of opening my mind and learning new things. This is something I see present in myself and others and this challenge has helped me to keep this in mind for the future. Overall I would say it was a positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment