Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Make rice crispy squares

So if you take a look at my list of things to do, you will notice a lot of food and drink related ones. Because I am all about some food. Continuing with this trend, I picked something from that list today!

Make rice crispy squares
If you want to make these, its pretty simple. First, buy a box of rice crispies. Second, read the directions on the box.

But I will here give you a more detailed step by step!

First, have about 5 cups of rice crispies


Then use about 10 oz of big marshmallows, or 4 cups of small ones. I didn't have a way to measure 10 oz, so I guesstimated. Turned out to be just about the right amount.


Now you will need 1/4 cup of butter.


This is about the time I realized I wanted chocolate rice crispy squares, so I added about 3/4 cups of mini-chocolate chips.

The next step is to admit you have a problem melt the butter on medium-low heat until it is fully melted. While that's melting, butter a large baking dish.

Once the butter is fully melted, add in the marshmallows and stir until those are also all melted.

Note: They say to use a large sauce pan. Make sure you do. Or a large pot. I used the largest saucepan I had and mixing all of the stuff was pushing its limit.

Eventually your marshmallows will begin to look like this:


Unappealing monster of a dessert snack. Keep stirring and eventually they will look nothing like marshmallows anymore. It takes a while doing it this way, so I kinda wished I had put the marshmallows in the microwave with the butter for 2 minutes instead. You can do it that way too, but make sure to stir it every minute.

So keep stirring until its completely melted and then remove it from the heat. Immediately add in your rice crispies and stir and mix it all up. When done, add it to your buttered baking dish, and let it cool.


Okay, so not the prettiest rice crispy snacks, but they do taste good, which is what matters!

This was fun to do, but its very messy. Make sure you're prepared for a clean up unless you're one of those miracle people who never dirties anything. It also didn't take very long. And now we have a nice dessert for after dinner!

2 comments: